Fonio is a preeminent African superfood that is harvested in the savannas of West Africa. This millet grain is little-known outside of Africa but, like quinoa, the grains are used in porridge and as couscous but is known to be much healthier choice. fonio is one of the most nutritious of all grains. It’s so full of protein that it even has amino acids that other grains don’t, making it a much more complete protein source. fonio is also known to be rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and manganese. It’s also very high in fiber and has a low glycemic index. Traditionally in Africa, many people that suffer from diabetes eat fonio instead of rice as a healthier substitute.
Juka’s Organic is committed to bringing the best fonio to your kitchen tables. We have partnered with women in villages of West Africa to import their hand selected and ethically harvested fonio. Our fonio grains are de-husked, thoroughly hand washed and naturally dried to preserve the most authentic & premium quality fonio.
- 100% Raw Fonio Ethically Harvested by Our Women Partners from Villages of Africa
- Cleanly Packed in Eco Friendly Pouches to Preserve and Maintain the Freshness of This Great African Wholegrain
- Thoroughly Dehusked and Hand Washed Multiple Times to Make for An Enjoyable Meal. This Is the Cleanest and The Best Tasting Fonio in The Market.
- Unrefined Fonio Has Potent Folic Acid, Fiber, Iron, Protein, Calcium, Magnesium & Many More Nutrients That Is Essential for The Body. Our Fonio Is All Vegan and Great for Vegan Protein. It Also Has Very Low Glycemic Index Which Makes It a Great Substitute for Rice or Any Grains for Diabetic Diet
- If You Never Mastered How to Perfectly Cook Fonio Well, You Have Now Come to The Right Place, Check Out Our Easy Directions for A Perfect & Easy Way To Prepare Fonio Without Any Mess Ups.
How To Use Raw Fonio?
- Cook as puree or as grits – Add 1 cup of fonio with 5 cups of water, 1 cup of milk, and boil until it has a thick puree consistency. Add sweetener, a pinch of salt, coconut oil or condiments of choice.
- Add to soup- Boil 1 cup of fonio with 3 cups of water. Add 1-2 spoons in any soup recipe for a more felling healthier choice of carbohydrate.
- Serve as a side dish to substitute rice or couscous - Roast fonio alone in a pot, on medium heat and stir for 8 mins and remove. Add 1 ½ cup of water with 1 spoon of olive oil, pinch of salt (to taste), 2 bay leaves (optional), cover & bring to boil. Add roasted fonio, cook for 1 min stir only once, reduce heat to extremely low and cover pot to simmer for 10 mins or until water has completely evaporate. Serve as a side dish. Cooked fonio can also be added to salad bowls just like quinoa (Juka’s also offers the pre-roasted fonio).
Gluten Free African Wholegrain, Non-GMO 1.60 lbs (737g)
Container - Juka's Organic has changed its packaging from glass jars to eco-friendly pouches to help keep shipping costs down while still maintaining the authenticity of our products & our commitment to environmental sustainability.